Monday, September 21, 2009

Back to School for an Edu-ma-cation

Mom: "Blake, what did you have for lunch today?"

Blake (age 6): "I didn't eat lunch. I only had, like, ten fourths of my grilled cheese."

Noah (age 7): "Blake. That means you ate the whole thing. Duh."

After a long summer, Blake and Noah returned to Beacon Heights Elementary School for another year of academics, friends, and fun.

The boys learned who their teachers were on Saturday, August 22. Rob and I took the boys to Back to School Day on Monday, August 24 where they were able to check out their new classrooms, meet their teachers, pick a seat in class, and see old friends. I don't know why, but I was nervous about the new school year to begin. Noah and Blake had such wonderful teachers last year, I wasn't sure how I would feel about their new teachers. As nervous as I was, the boys acted as though they were going to Disneyland! They were running, skipping, and talking a mile a minute. I can only do the latter at this point, as I am about to birth a large bun that has been baking in the oven. This posed a problem. I could barely keep up with the boys as they ran into the school, but I managed to have laid out the itinerary before we got out of the car so I knew right where to look for them.

Ms. Buttars class was first on the list. Blake was more than eager to meet Ms. Buttars, who transferred from another elementary school down the road. We filled out her questionnaire, found all the important locations in the classroom and then it was on to Noah's class. Noah ran as fast as he could to his classroom. He was bouncy, all smiles. As soon as he set foot in Mrs. Mortensen's class (she likes the kids to call her Emily), he was too tough for school. That change in personality made me smile and laugh. He was such a good actor, Emily asked if he liked school. If she could have only seen Noah run and jump through the halls like Laura Ingalls on the post-credits of Little House on the Prairie! Noah had his picture taken, chose a seat, explored the room and talked with old friends, while Rob and I filled out paperwork and requests for volunteerism.

School started the next day, Tuesday, August 25. Here are some shots of my "excited-to-be-back-at-school" boys.


No comments: